Thursday, July 20, 2023

Creature Comforts


Trip to Nitori



[ Enjoying breakfast with the Justin's Classic peanut butter I stashed in my suitcase. ]

A couple of days ago we went on a journey to Otaru, a coastal city adjacent to the Sea of Japan. The trip was just about a 1.5 hour journey according to Google Maps and we started out on Route 5 from Niseko heading up towards the Maple-Kaido road, Route 393, through the mountains. On Route 5 we drove through a group of mountains and then a valley of rich soil and growing crops before heading up a second mountain chain on Route 393. The views during the ride were absolutely stunning and impossible to capture with an iPhone. Spruce trees, maples and thick dense foliage lined the road. We did stop once at a look out to try to take a photo, but to be honest for most of this part of the drive I was slightly terrified and my eyes were peeled to the road. Very steep!


[ Heading up Route 393, the Maple-Kaido Road ]

When I thought I had a solid handle on things, and could ease up, we hit a bunch of switch backs before the descent to Otaru. The road was very well marked, very well protected but my heart was in my mouth. Through slow and steady driving I made it through this section of the road, to my great relief, and we dropped down to sea level to the city. On this particular trip, our goal was to find the Nitori store, to purchase some house items that would organize our belongings and contribute to the cozy dwelling we were setting up in our home. 


[ The route from Niseko to Otaru ]


[ The switch backs before the descent into Otaru ]

We made it to the Nitori store where we spent a considerable amount of time finding all of the items we were looking for - kitchen ware, storage units, small lamps, and some bedding. This took quite a long time and we decided that sight seeing would have to wait for another trip. I have to mention, however, how truly grateful that I was for the two digital natives in our family. To make some of our purchases, we had to register for the store's app which meant entering our full address, names, phone numbers, etc., in Kana. Using google translate, Norah's excellent knowledge of the Japanese alphabet, and unflappable confidence Wiley and Norah were able to get our account set up so that we could make our purchases. The woman helping us was very impressed with Norah's keyboard skills when she typed in my name: 

スパグノーリ ビクトリア

On the drive back to Niseko (yes, through the switchbacks and fog!) we arrived in the valley outside of Kutchan in time to capture a dramatic glimpse of Mt. Yotei (the volcano overlooking our house). We stopped for a photo and this one was my favorite:


[ Wiley and Norah in front of Mt. Yotei ]








No comments:

Post a Comment