Friday, September 15, 2023

Friday is Bakery Day

 Fluffy bread in all its glory

[ Sweet bread with melon ]

Every Friday is Bakery Day. Close to noon, the local baker from Maitorie bakery located near the Niseko train station arrives with his wife carrying trays of freshly baked savory and sweet breads to sell to our students and staff for lunch. Students can buy two savory and one sweet bread and they come prepared with their change purses filled with 100-yen coins. 

[ Bringing in the bread ]

The baker's wife accompanies him, and she joins him to help serve once she has parked their pink Kei car in the parking lot.  Each week they bring a different variety of breads and I can barely take the anticipation on Friday morning with my coins jangling in my pocket. Here is a selection of what is on hand: 


[ Custard cream, red bean and raisin buns ]


[ Napolitan savory sandwich ]


[ Curry and potato pan ]


[ Yakisoba sandwich ]

Each classroom of students takes turn coming to the table to make a selection. They count out their coins and pay the baker at the end of the table. He makes change from a container of coins that he brings with him. 



[ That will by 250 yen please ]


[ This is the spirit of a young gourmand ]


Each week I counsel myself on limiting my purchases. I usually bring a normal packed lunch and promise myself to only buy one sweet roll. But it never quite goes as planned. This is what I bought this week. 


[ How many carbs can I eat in one meal? ]

My absolute favorite bread has only shown up once so far. It is a roll that is sliced open and stuffed with whipped cream and then sprinkled with powdered sugar. I mean, I cannot say no.


[ The creme de la creme ]












1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine the delicious goodness! Every week is pretty special! Wish that kind of community partnership happened more often in the States.
    Best to you and Norah 💕

    ReplyDelete